Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Snip, snip

Ok this is a long one, but I sort-of vent on here, so.......

Today I had to work, don't wanna elaborate on that too much, except to say that I'm gettin real tired of grumpy mean ppl, and some of them are just about to get a taste of grumpy mean Jill right back! Ok enough of that.

As I was coming down my driveway I see Dustin in the front yard in his jogging attire (which consists of 10 yr old basketball practice shorts and a cutoff NASCAR t shirt, along with his mp3 player attached to his arm) stretching and apparently ready to run as soon as I walk in the door to watch Mallory. So I get out of the car turn on the stopwatch on my phone for him and bid him farewell. I walked into the house and into the bathroom which is always my first pitstop after work, do my business, then notice in the drawer there is a small bundle of hair. Very evenly cut, dark blonde hair.......oh my, this is hair that my sweet, innocent child has cut off her head.....oh no what does she look like? I call to my oh so innocent child to come to me and I just cut straight to the chase, "Let me see your hair," I say to her with fire in my eyes (It was pulled back in a headband). "Why mama?" imagine big doe eyes right about here! I looked at her hair and to my amazement and relief it was only a small small strand of hair that is very inconspicous thank heavens. Then I asked her if that was the strand of hair she cut and before she could register that she was in trouble she shot out the truth with a "yeah" and as soon as that word came out I could tell she wanted to take it back!!
Now she has to be punished which is what I hate the most in the whole wide world and she realizes she's gonna be punished and starts bawling and begging and negotiating with me not to punish her or tell her daddy and she'll never do it again, she'll give me a massage (too funny and very tempting since she's actually pretty good at it) but I knew that she knew not to do it. It isn't like she's a toddler and found some scissors. She said she just wanted to cut her hair and so she did it and " hid" the hair in the drawer cause she knew she'd get into trouble. Period. The risk was apparently worth it to her, which scares the crap out of me cause she's only 5. What's gonna happen when she's a teen? How many more times is she gonna weigh it all out and choose to take her punishment later,whatever it may be?
Anyway, after her punishment we have a long talk about growing up to be a good person, following the rules even when that means you don't always get to do what you want to do, following the rules so you don't go to jail and generally turning out to be a well -rounded human instead of a scumbag with a chip on your shoulder that thinks the world owes you something just because your mom didn't care enough about you and never punished you for snipping off a twig of hair when you knew better back when you were five.....I think the lecture may have been worse than the actual punishment.

3 comments:

  1. LOL - I thought her hair looked different sunday! Bless her heart mama - or bless yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha,ha - I've got to talk to that child. You don't hide the evidence in a drawer! You flush it down the toilet!!! She COULD HAVE gotten away with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow we so got to talk and swap stories!! Jas cut her the other day thank goodness it wasn't noticeable either!! Mal sounds alot like Jas!

    ReplyDelete